Tweet This!

Thursday, June 19, 2008

This little thing I do

There is a small crack on Stage Left that I can look out of and see a good portion of the audience without being seen at all. During the production of Anything Goes I have gotten into the habit of going to this peephole during the two big numbers of the show. I usually choose one elderly lady and watch her specifically throughout the song, but sometimes I just scan the audience. I watch as at first they look almost bored, then they look intrigued. Occasionally some will smile. I've seen some jaws drop in surprise, people shaking their heads in amazement, and others will lean over and whisper something to their friend or husband. By the end of the song it isn't only the person I'm watching, but the entire audience is into it. They are smiling and pointing and just loving the experience, then when it ends they erupt into applause. Its a weird thing to do, but it is usually my favorite experience of the night. I love seeing how much people are enjoying themselves, especially old people since this show was written in their time. This is why I love theater.

3 comments:

  1. It's like in 27 dresses where she likes to look at the groom's face when everyone is looking at the bride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. katie's comment gave me the chills. is the groom smiling?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you not seen the movie? The groom's face should be showing how in love he is with the bride. That's what I think anyway.

    ReplyDelete