I spent the past weekend driving. A LOT. I discussed this weekend with The Cleveland Play House before I was hired so I was able to get Friday - Sunday off, which was nice. And since Monday is my day off anyway it was a 4 day weekend! That doesn't mean much though because I was so busy.
Monday
5 am alarm goes off
6 am I hit the road
10:30 I am at Cincinnati Conservatory of Music for a tour of the facilities, lunch with the current Stage Management Graduate Students (all 4 of them), attending a class, then finally an interview. The interview lasted an hour and a half and went really well. I didn't realize how awesome getting a business degree was until that interview. I'm so smart. ;)
4:30 I hit the road again. Snow had started falling, and it would turn into a huge storm. Fortunately I was driving South so it was just rain. For hours.
11:30 I decided I was sleepy so I turned in for the night. At a truck stop. Don't worry I did my homework. I parked in a good spot, and made sure the workers at the place knew I was sleeping there but nobody else. My windows are tinted and it was dark. I had like 5 blankets and my awesome sleeping bag.
Saturday
6:3o Wake up and realize two things. 1- I slept through my alarm. 2- I'm freezing. I wash my face and brush my teeth in the bathroom and hit the road.
8:00 I make it to Memphis for the Unified Professional Theater Auditions. Check in was at 9. I hadn't realized the time change. I was in grungy pants and a hoodie and people were looking at me weird. Shut up I slept in my car last night. I cleaned up in the bathroom and was looking pretty good.
9:00 Check In and jobs posted.
9:30-11:30 I looked at all the job postings and wandered all over the hotel UPTA's were held at signing up for interview times, sliding my resume under the door, and checking back at the places who were slow putting up their sign in sheets.
12:30-8 I interviewed. Aside from a 2 hour break from 6-8 I had no down time. It was insane. I talked about my business degree a lot. I was crazy tired and starving. (There was no food in the hotel. Everyone was starving.) After my last interview I finally got out of those clothes and back into my grungy jeans and hoodie.
8:30-10 I left the hotel and ate at Applebees with a Christmas gift card. After eating a meal I was much happier, but dead tired.
10-1 Something happened at this point to my phone. It went back to Cleveland time instead of Memphis so I was an hour off. I was waiting for Cecilia, my friend from Foodplay to be done with her auditions cause she said I could sleep in her hotel room. I waited in the lobby which turned into a night club with drinks and socializing. I was SO TIRED. I started falling asleep when my phone said 1 which was probably midnight so I went to my car and fell asleep in my "bed". I woke up when my phone said 2:15 to a text from Cecilia and quickly drove to her hotel where I talked to her for like 5 minutes then crashed.
Sunday
8:00 I woke up and showered for the first time in days and hit the road by 9. Cecilia slept through all of this. I felt very refreshed after that sleep. It turns out it was only 7 Memphis time. I discovered this after about an hour.
8:40 PM I made it to my apartment, dumped my stuff on the floor and made some breakfast burritos.
10:30 Crashed
Monday
10:30 woke up.
It was a long weekend thats for sure! I have today off but it will be spent running errands. I really hope something comes from this long weekend. I feel pretty good about my interviews but there were a lot of stage managers at UPTA's.
One cool thing about leaving then coming back is that I feel more at home in Cleveland. Cleveland is new, but Cincinnati and Memphis were newer. Coming back to Cleveland has more of a coming home feeling than it had before. I experienced the same thing on my mission when I would feel so awkward in an area, go away, then come back. Its like I don't realize how comfortable I am somewhere until I remember how uncomfortable I used to feel. Does that make sense?
What an interesting weekend! I love that you slept in your car and later commented, "Shut up I slept in my car!" That's so cool that your major helped you be so prepared. Hopefully some good comes of your very busy weekend.
ReplyDeleteOh, Lizzie. You can't sleep in your car.
ReplyDelete