Tweet This!

Friday, March 14, 2008

more than a tool

So for they play we're doing at work right now my job is Master Electrician and Light Board Operator. With Stage management, all duties take place during rehearsals, then culminate with the run of the show. With lights, it is pretty opposite. We do everything outside of rehearsals, like climbing all over everything to hang and focus the lights, then making sure they are all plugged in and working. By opening night the lights are basically done and all the Light Board Operator has to do is hit "GO" when the stage manager says to go to the next cue thats been programmed into the computer.

Since this is my job, I've been working really closely with the light designer for several weeks. Its the second show I've done with him, but this time he's really taken me under his wing and taught me how to do a lot of things. Well, yesterday was opening night so we are pretty much done. He came up to me before the show and told me what a great job I did. He just kept saying, "really. You've really done a great job." Then he gave me this special tool that makes hanging and focusing lights a lot easier. It was so nice! I was thanking him for the tool and he said, "I've seen you grow a lot over these past couple of shows." It was encouraging and I felt really happy.

As I looked at the tool throughout the night, I decided that its so much more than just a tool. It is proof that all of my hard work this semester didn't go unnoticed. It tells me that I'm working hard, and people in this business are starting to take me seriously. It also says that I did a good enough job, that Spencer gave me a light tool in expectation that I will be working with him again in the future. It might be lame, but this little tool really does mean a lot to me.

This is a picture of the sound boards at The Lion King on Broadway. I don't have any pictures of light boards, but you get the general idea...

1 comment:

  1. That is so awesome that you got recognized for excelling. I know that every time I am told I did a good job (whether at work, home, church, etc) I continue to try to do well, so that they aren't disappointed that I did really well, then stopped trying. Positive reinforcement really works. Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete