Tweet This!

Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Stairs

The goal: Build the exit stairs that lead down from the stage right balcony.

The facts:
You have already built 3 stairways that have 3, 5, and 6 stairs each.
Each step is 7 inches.
The balcony is 105 inches high.
You have limited space.

Now what?

I have been building the stairs every now and then since the semester began, but putting them together and adding legs to get to the correct height didn't start until Friday.

3 workdays, a half box of screws, 2 truckloads of lumber, many frustrated words, and a few splinters later...the stairs were done. It took a lot of math, much cutting and screwing, and some trickiness, but I think it turned out great.

The Answer:
14 stairs, one platform that adds a stair, and another platform at the 105 inches.




The tallest legs were 103 3/4 inches, and the shortest were 16 5/8. I took a ton of pics, but these two are my favorites, and YES, I was alone when I took these. :)

2 comments: