Tweet This!

Monday, October 19, 2009

I'm poor, so I travel.

I got up this morning and walked out to the beach while lazy Elise slept in. I watched the sun come up over the hill and listened to the waves. I was the only one out on the beach. I am so lucky to have the experiences that I have. I tell myself over and over again so I won't forget. As I was walking back to the room I saw the manager of the resort. He was confused to see me awake, "it's early huh?" Haha, everyone else that stays there sleeps in with hangovers. Even during the off season, this is a place to party.


We had our breakfast out on the beach and then went into Mykonos to spend the morning then get on our ferry.



I would like to take this moment to explain that we have been completely confused about the days since we got here. When we flew we lost a ton of time and spent the rest of it on the road, so we completely lost Friday. Somehow we got mistaken and were a day behind. It wasn't until like 2:00 PM today that we realized it was Monday and not Sunday. It was so weird.

Elise has broken out with hives, or some sort of rash. It looks like tons of mosquito bites but we really can't explain it. Once we got to Mykonos this morning we went to the Pharmacy ("Open on Sunday, how convenient," we thought.) to get her some lotion and medicine. Mykonos is such a maze of streets it is nearly impossible to find anything. We basically ask someone to point us in the right direction, walk for a minute, then ask someone else. This morning a nice old man who spoke no english walked the whole way with us to the pharmacy. His name was Antonio and of all the people we've asked for directions so far, he is our absolute favorite.



This is us on our way to the port. We ran into a lot of people getting off a cruise ship. I don't know why, but I really try hard not to be a typical "tourist" when I go places. I want to be one who experiences the culture and side of a place that is beyond the facade that the town puts up. Seeing all of the tourists on the ships reminded me of that.



This is us on our ferry to Santorini. These are our cheese and mustard sandwhiches. Ya. I know how to live cheap. :)

So far, coming in the off season has been so good to us. We don't have to go searching for the cheap hostels. When the boat comes into port there are representatives from the hotels and hostels fighting for our business. We were more prepared this time than last time and we wound up in a decent hotel for only 10 Euro a night per person. Instead of 45 Euro for the room its 20 Euro. It all happened so fast I'm still a little dazed. Not only are we getting deals on lodging, but most of the stores are discounting their merchandise. Mykonos had a lot of stores selling everything for 50% off. Its also been really nice weather. I wear my sweater in the morning and at night, but the rest of the time its nice enough to go without a sweater, but we aren't sweaty. Cool.

We've just walked around Santorini for a little bit. We ate Slouvaki and Tzatiki or something like that at a local restaurant. This island is BEAUTIFUL. We will definitely be getting more pictures tomorrow when its sunny, but here is a preview.




Elise was wearing the watch for the first day, but then she got hives and the watch was irritating them. So now I'm wearing the watch. We are SO good at traveling. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment