Tweet This!

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Another Opening Night

I just got home from my first opening night as a Production Assistant. I did it! The show went off well.

It is about a two hour production (two 55 min acts). At one point there are 2 pages of script where technically nothing is happening. The rest of the time, at least someone is doing something. I've had a great time organizing what is happening, when, where, how, and who. It is definitely a fun show.

Fun Things in this show:
  • All large props (ladders, tables, chairs, door) are on wheels and get pushed out several times with actors riding them.
  • The huge fog machine.
  • Pulling a stuffed poodle across the stage by a string.
  • I get to fire a gun backstage.

Mostly, I love that there is no time to get bored.

After opening night there is a party for all CPH employees. It was fun to see everyone and hold my head high that the show worked out.

Top Moments of the Night:
  • Having the big boss look at me and say, "Lizzie, thank you. It turned out great" and hugging me.
  • Standing backstage during the show, taking in my view of the actors onstage with the costume and deck crew backstage, and feeling a wave of appreciation come over me.
  • Looking at my phone and realizing I'd been at the party for 2 hours talking and having a good time. (I usually leave a lot earlier)
Sometimes I complain about it. I rarely know where I'll be in the near future, I have odd hours, I'm far away from my family, and there are moments of high stress. But mostly, I just love it.

I would like it on record that I went through the whole process from first rehearsal to opening night without breaking down in tears. It's been said that everyone is allowed one good cry per production. I didn't need mine this time around.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! Super happy for you Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!! I believe it's better to love you job than most anything else (like the pay, hours, etc). You know your in the right place!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you're happy! Great job with the show!

    ReplyDelete