Tweet This!

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Tanna holds a special place in my heart

Day #6 A Song That Reminds You Of Somewhere

Enya "May It Be"


When I was in Vanuatu I served on a fairly primitive island called Tanna. It was amazing. We were running low on full time sister missionaries so for 6 weeks my companion was a district missionary from one of the villages I was serving in. There were definitely moments during this period when I felt isolated and alone. Every other week the Zone Leaders would pick us and the other 2 Elders up and take us down to "town" for a meeting and to buy supplies. They had an Enya cd.

We don't need to discuss whether that is ok or not because I definitely felt comforted when I heard this song as we were driving through the jungles of Tanna. I can't listen this, or much of Enya, without going back to Tanna and those HORRIBLE roads. If you don't hang on tight to the handle above the door, you hit your head on the window. The roads were just wide enough for the truck, and the bushes were like walls on other sides of us. In a few places, the Elders before had actually made the roads because missionaries are the only ones that ever drive up that far. I loved that.




"May It Be"

May it be an evening star
Shines down upon you
May it be when darkness falls
Your heart will be true
You walk a lonely road
Oh! How far you are from home

Mornie utúlië (darkness has come)
Believe and you will find your way
Mornie alantië (darkness has fallen)
A promise lives within you now

May it be the shadows call
Will fly away
May it be you journey on
To light the day
When the night is overcome
You may rise to find the sun

Mornie utúlië (darkness has come)
Believe and you will find your way
Mornie alantië (darkness has fallen)
A promise lives within you now

A promise lives within you now

No comments:

Post a Comment