Tweet This!

Thursday, November 11, 2010

it's like every decision is a life changing one

Just spent the evening with a friend trying to help her figure out what to do with her career. Because I have applied to/changed jobs, moved cities, and followed my heart so often in the past few years, I was able to give her some advice.

Sure, being single has it's perks. We aren't tied down and can decide for ourselves which job to take and city to live in. The thing is...sometimes it would just be easier to be tied down to a certain place. It would eliminate so many of the really tough decisions. We all crave stability every now and then, and today was her day.

"I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow. I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights. I've learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents, you'll miss them when they're gone from your life. I've learned that making a "living" is not the same thing as making a "life." I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance. I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back. I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision. I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one. I've learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back. I've learned that I still have a lot to learn. I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Sometimes I dream of becoming wise like this. Then I snap out of it.

1 comment:

  1. I <3 this quote. I'm a big fan of Maya Angelou. Read the poem "Phenomenal Woman" It's amazing.

    ReplyDelete