Tweet This!

Sunday, June 5, 2011

DC is treating me well.

June 1 marked my ONE MONTH in Washington DC. I've (surprise surprise) fallen in love with this place in that short amount of time. I am enjoying the beauty of the location, the excitement of the city, and of course my job.

My commute is pretty annoying, but I only have one more month so no need to complain. I do get a lot of music/book listening time in. I also am enjoying the 30 min walk between the metro station and my house. Weird I know. One of my favorite things at the end of a long day is being able to walk home, think about how things went, and wind down. I've probably mentioned it on here before. This is something I fell in love with when I was in Vanuatu, and something I definitely miss when I'm driving everywhere. (If you know me at all, you know that I don't wind DOWN when I'm driving)

Memorial Day!

For Memorial Day my new roomie and I went to Arlington Cemetery and the parade. It was really beautiful, busy, and hot.

Also, President Obama was there. This is him driving away.

WORK
I don't think anyone will be surprised to learn that I've gotten completely caught up in work again. It's so easy to do when I don't really know anybody else. It is easy to become a workaholic.

We are doing two shows in rep, which means we rehearse two shows at the same time and then when we open they perform each show every other day. I've never worked in rep before so I was a little nervous, but I'm finding it to be a lot more refreshing than it is stressful. One show is The Maid's Tragedy. Which is ridiculously depressing. 4 people die onstage and 2 people vow to return to their homes and die in the last scene. Whenever we are on Maid's days the mood is a lot more mellow, then people start getting testy. It's tough not to be effected by it.

(this is when we were staging where the dead bodies should end up. They have their scripts with them so they know when in the lines they should groan and/or give one final breath and die)

So it's a good thing that we have the light hearted Shakespeare's Love's Labor's Lost to return to. It's funny and it's about being in love and making a fool of yourself. The rehearsals have kind of been going 3 days on 3 days off. So I have 3 days to spiral down, and 3 days to pick myself up again. Such the roller coaster. And we are ALL on it.

New lessons learned in my first month in DC:
Always stand to the right on the escalator.
White short sleeve shirts and backpacks DON'T mean missionary.
When you ask someone what they do for a living and they respond "I can't tell you". Take them seriously.

Old lessons Re-Learned:
I can do this.

Not only CAN I do this, but I AM doing it, and I'm doing it well.






3 comments:

  1. Way to go!! You never cease to amaze me!! As sad as I am that you weren't able to be with us all summer, I know this is a great thing for you, and you seem to be having lots of fun. I like your lessons learned. I miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun! What a great place to spend the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A little late, but I'm glad you liked DC!

    ReplyDelete