Tweet This!

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Inherit the Wind

I just got back from a play my friend is stage managing called Inherit the Wind. Its about the monkey trial down South when the teacher was teaching evolution in his classes. It was an interesting play. I especially love how poetic the script was. At one point, the lawyer is talking about how every good thing that we gain must come at a cost. I will paraphrase two of the examples he used.

"Sure you can have the telephone, but you'll have to give up privacy and the pleasure of distance."

and
"Yes, man can conquer the skies, but birds will lose their wonder, and clouds will smell of gasoline."


I just think it is interesting to think about all of the wonderful things that we've accomplished as a whole, as well as individually. Sure you can be healthy, but you'll have to sacrifice alcohol, smoking, and time and energy spent at the gym. Every good thing will always come at a cost, but its always worth it.

This is another quote I liked. Two people who used to be friends were talking and one asked the other why he had moved so far away from him. The response:

"Movement is relative. Perhaps it is you who have moved away, by standing still."

2 comments:

  1. I really like those quotes, they are very poetic. I really like the one about how birds will lose their wonder. We can look at things that are amazing, and simply be amazed, but I think it is human nature to want to figure out how a human can do it too. It's cool to discover, but it may take some of the amazingness (if that's a word) out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with katie. i really like the bird quote. kinda sad.

    ReplyDelete