Tweet This!

Thursday, January 14, 2010

I think this is working out just fine.

I've been in Ohio for a few weeks now and am starting to settle into a comfortable routine. I've met everyone at the Play House, been to church and institute, and hung out with friends. Its nice to pause in a moment to realize how much fun I am having and how natural it feels to be here. I have talked to my friends about how sad they were I didn't work here last summer, but I had an amazing summer and I went to Greece. So I'm not complaining! Everything works out the way it does for a reason. I find that very comforting.

This is a picture of the theatre before we opened. Notice the original bricks walls and how skinny it is. It is such a cozy space.

This is the fly line that I work on during the show. It's historic. It is called a Hemp Rope system or a "Hemp House". Back in the day when fly systems were new they were run by sailors who just got out of the Navy after the war. This is because sailors know how to get heavy things high into the air. They communicated with each other through whistling (which is why whistling is bad luck in a theatre. If you whistle it means something is going to fall on you.) If you look at the picture you might be able to see the similarity of this system to that of a ship. Its very interesting to me, but that is enough learning for one day. If you want to learn more about Fly Systems check out what Wikipedia has to say. This is the first time I've ever worked with something like this so I've had to learn how to tie knots like a sailor. Pretty cool.
This is a bad picture of Me, Maureen, and Chris. My first night in town we went out for Chinese food then went to a coffee shop to chat. I forgot my camera so I had to use my phone. Taking self portraits with an iphone is really difficult.

I've had fun with these two. Maureen took me on a driving tour of downtown Cleveland, including the West Side Market where I found some food I haven't had since Vanuatu.



And I saw this pig.

We also went together to Lost In Yonkers and the opening night party.

Last time I was in town she was my boss and a lot more stressed out. Now that we are just friends (she works at the Play House too but in a different department) we have a lot more fun together. Its awesome! Thank you Maureen for getting me this job, showing me the town, and hanging out with me all the time. Her quote of the week, "these next 4 months are going to be the most documented of my life because Lizzie is here." This is true.

Finally, here is a video of my dressing room. Yes, I have my own dressing room.


Isn't it so tiny and cute! I considered decorating it with pictures but decided not to since I won't have it for long. After Huck Finn closes and we start bigger shows they won't have a spare dressing room to give to the lowly ASM. That's fine by me, I'm just living it up now! I really hope that when I hit the big time I still get excited about little things like dressing rooms.

3 comments:

  1. So cool that you have your own dressing room. It reminds me of Broadway nights when he was excited he had his own dressing room. That's really cool about the ropes. I remember you telling me about the whistling. It's interesting to me to learn about all these little theater tidbits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you! I am heading to SLC this weekend and I wish I could see you while we're there. Perhaps we'll have to chat some other way sometime.
    Cool theater! Glad you're happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "that's it. bye."

    i've watched that soo many times and can't stop laughing! you're cute. :)

    ReplyDelete