So today was my first opportunity to be a tourist in Cleveland. I did my research for all of the exciting things going on for MLK Day so Maureen and I could make the most of it, and we did.
They had a special today which we definitely had to take advantage of. We arrived early and spent a few hours checking out the exhibits.
Highlights:
Michael Jackson's white glove
The entire Elvis exhibit
Rocking out to the most influential songs with awesome headphones
Original Cost $22 Today $FREE
The House of Blues
I didn't want to lose track of the importance of today so we went to the House of Blues where school kids were singing, dancing, and playing instruments in honor of Martin Luther King. It was actually pretty interesting. A lot of the schools had children of "varying disabilities". We had a good time.
Cost $FREE
University Circle
On our way to find something to eat we passed through University Circle where they were having a milk promotion. They were handing out free gallons of milk! Our only guess of why they might being doing this today was for MLK. Get it? MLK..milk....
Original Cost $2.69 Today $FREE
Mi Pueblo
After all of this craziness we went to a Mexican restaurant where we had full yummy meals.
Cost $9
This museum was really neat and by the time we got here the crowds were winding down.
Highlights:
The Abraham Lincoln exhibit. They had a photograph of Lincoln's second inauguration. I didn't know they had photographs of him. Awesome.
The car and airplane exhibit.
This car is made of stainless steel!
Also made of stainless steel, this is the FIRST Delorean every made. AWESOME!
Original Cost $8.50 Today $FREE
In conclusion, today was a great day. We found great deals, saw everything we had planned to see, and saved a bunch of money! Its the first time I've really spent money at a restaurant since I've been here so I don't even feel to bad about the $9 meal. I am so good at being a tourist. ;)
I had good practice last spring. One year ago today I was arriving in Massachusetts to start my tourist training. Oh the memories.
"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
-Martin Luther King Jr.
Free, that's just your style!!
ReplyDeleteSo fun! I'm glad you're getting to see things in your new town.
ReplyDeleteI'm sad you aren't in Murray anymore though. I'm heading there this weekend.
Suddenly I wonder -- did I already tell you that in a comment? Hard to say when I'm tired.